Friday, September 12, 2008

Girl Friday September 12, 2008 - Vintage Cowgirls

Rocking it REALLY old school this Friday, for the Girl Friday post. Vintage photos of women from the library of Congress archives. These Ladies were more than capable of taking care of themselves:

1909jpg

1902jpg

1910jpg

revolvergirl1912jpg

These pictures are from the Library of Congress Archive, which you can search and download from online. As I've stated before, I can get lost looking through stuff like this and waste a whole day before I'm done. It can be addicting, being a voyeur of the past.

History, as taught in school, was always boring to me. Important dates, famous people, governments of foreign countries.... all very unapproachable and unrelateable. What do I have in common with the Czar of Russia? Not damned much, that's what.

These types of pictures, on the other hand, offer a glimpse of the lives of people just like you and me. How they lived, what they thought, who they loved. That's what draws me... the thought that these people are long, long, gone. Most of what they knew and the people who loved them are long gone as well. When I see their pictures, though, a piece of them is immortal and lives on. Guess that's why I find really old cemeteries almost too interesting to resist poking around in. Same principle.

No comments: