Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sarah Palin in Runners World

Photos by Brian Adams of Runners World.


Nice article featuring Sarah Palin in Runners World magazine. I like her so much it hurts. The article pretty much avoids political leanings - as it should since the magazine and article aren't about that.

Her personality and character come shining through, though. Here's a few of my favorite parts. It was printed in a sort of "question/answer" format:


"In terms of wanting to get out there with political friends, I used to joke around with John McCain during the campaign about coming jogging with me. And once I asked him what his favorite exercise was, and he said, 'I go wading.' Wading. He lives on a creek in Arizona, so he goes wading. That cracked me up."

What has running taught you about politics?

"Same thing it's taught me about life: You have to have determination and set goals, and you don't complain when something's hurting because no one wants to hear it. You get bummed and burned out sometimes in running and in politics, but if you're in for the long haul and you're in it because you know that it is a good thing, then you get out there and you do it anyway."

What's the funniest thing that happened on a run?

"In Anchorage on the coastal trail there have been many times where I've had to stop right in my tracks and turn around because there's been either a moose standing there staring at me or a moose's butt plopping on over into the trail. I have to turn around and leave, or I'm going to get clobbered."

What about in a race? Could you beat the president?

"I betcha I'd have more endurance. My one claim to fame in my own little internal running circle is a sub-four marathon. It wasn't necessarily a good running time, but it proves I have the endurance within me to at least gut it out and that is something. If you ever talk to my old coaches, they'd tell you, too. What I lacked in physical strength or skill I made up for in determination and endurance. So if it were a long race that required a lot of endurance, I'd win."

6 comments:

Bitmap said...

Maybe it's a good thing we didn't waste her as Mccain's VP.

Anyone that the LWM hates as much as her must be great.

Stephen said...

I'd run with her any day. I'd die in the process, but I'd fall dead happy.

Paladin said...

Yeah.. you and me both. :)

I couldn't help buy think of the irony of me reading an article from Runners World magazine :) With my knees I couldn't keep up running against Robert Byrd....

Xmichra said...

I do not like her, bu want the running jacket. looks comfy.

Paladin said...

See... that proves she has something to offer everyone ;)

Xmichra said...

lmao.... that was pretty good ;)