Metal bodied alarm clocks like this Ingraham Meteor are pretty easy to find. Old alarm clocks are all over ebay, flea markets, etc. Many of them are non-working (like this one was), but its usually not due to damage - even though many are listed as "wound too tight" or "over wound".
It's virtually impossible to "over wind" a clock like this unless you are really forcing it beyond the point where you can wind it by hand. More commonly, the light weight oil used to lubricate the movement has dried out over time and stuff is just gunked up to the point where the clock won't run. Relaxing the time and alarm springs to open them up and then soaking the entire movement in a solution of clock movement cleaner (followed by proper oiling) is usually all it takes to get a stuck movement back to ticking away.
But I didn't do that on this clock - and the "ticking away" part was the primary reason. Mrs. Paladin works in a Doctor's Office and these clocks tick REALLY LOUDLY. So, I replaced the old movement with a quartz one. The shaft hole in the face had to be enlarged to fit the new movement and I had to epoxy some small magnets inside the pot-metal case to hold the steel back in place - since the back was orginally attached to the old movement. None of the mods were very complicated or time consuming.
Repainted the case in the color of her choice and that's about all this quickie project took.