Saturday, December 15, 2012

As the vultures descend...

I'd really rather not step into the gun control fray so soon after the tragedy in Connecticut. I'd rather join the bulk of the Country in simply mourning the lost. However, within just a few hours of the first reports of the event - before any actual details were available - the Statist Pricks began their usual tactics of advancing their agenda on the bodies of innocents.

This afternoon, I'll be attending Little Bailey's very first Soccer game. I'll be sitting in the stands cheering her on in an indoor facility full of families and children.

I'll be there, unarmed, because the geniuses who make our laws have determined that I - a law abiding concealed weapon permit holder who has been through extensive screening by several law enforcement agencies - can't be allowed to legally carry a gun there. You see... that makes them feel safe.

Never mind the absolute fact that any murderous scumbag can walk right in there ignoring the signs and kill at will.

So I'll be there with my fangs pulled, because I obey the law. I'll be there unarmed because Bailey and my Family will be there. If push comes to shove and bad things happen I'll do whatever I can to stop it using whatever means at my disposal - though that ability is severely diminished by my being forced to live in someone else's denial ridden delusion of "safety".

Fuck the Nanny State. And Fuck anyone who claims to be interested in keeping my loved ones safe - yet cripples my ability to make that reality.

"We know that the sheep live in denial; that is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids' schools.

But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are dozens of times more likely to be killed, and thousands of times more likely to be seriously injured, by school violence than by school fires, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial.

The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their children is just too hard, so they choose the path of denial. "

- Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman, U.S. Army, Retired

6 comments:

LL said...

Just select a more concealable weapon.

kx59 said...

Well written Paladin. I tried to find the words to pen a post last night and just couldn't do it.
My sympathies go to those that lost their children. I would much prefer to take a bullet than my 6 year old granddaughter.
If lucky, I might be able to stick a bic ballpoint pen through the perp's eye socket before I collapsed.

Paladin said...

Believe me I have that covered. Back up system but better than nothing.

Paladin said...

Life has to go on and i need to be there to provide what protection i can. I just wish the idiots didn't make it so hard.

Kal said...

I so wish we could find a compromise that satisfy your need to protect your family with assurances that people who get guns are forced to jump through a few more difficult hoops. If we weed out ten a week who have no right to be armed for mental reasons I would be happy. I am not worried about you. I am worried for the mentally damaged individual who has family memembers not informed of how they can help a mentally damaged relative and be given the tool and knowledge to head some of these massacres off by just pay attention. These guys don't go off on one day. It takes months or years for such a plan to be pulled off. Is there anything you can say to us who want to work with you on somekind of reasonable compromise but will you only see any changes as your dreaded slippery slope.

Paladin said...

Kal - I know this situation hits you particularly hard. I know your love of kids as a former teacher. I know if you could have saved any of those little souls, you would have.

I also know that this overwhelming desire to do something can lead people to make all sorts of bad decisions. You're looking for me to reasonably compromise... by my count Law Abiding Gun Owners have done nothing BUT compromise for years and years. All that does is erode my rights and make gun control advocates FEEL like they are making things better.

There are already HUNDREDS of gun control laws on the books across the US. None of the laws Connecticut already has on the books stopped this from happening. We could require a detailed psych evaluation of every gun purchaser from this point onward and it wouldn't have stopped this guy because he took guns from someone else.

I'm hurting too. I'm also done compromising to fuel other people's delusions about gun control. The largest single mass murder in the US was committed with box cutters as the primary physical tool. Norway's rigid gun laws didn't stop a monster from killing 69 people - mostly teenagers.

England, where they've so exhausted the possible "gun control solutions" that they've had to move on to banning pocket knives, has a violent crime rate among the highest in Europe and twice that found in the US.

Reasonable Compromise? I don't think that means what you think it means.