Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Good Fences make Good Neighbors...

However, two good fences with a gap in the middle makes a pretty attractive den spot for all sorts of critters....

bobcats 1

Mother bobcat and babies tucked into the narrow gap between two 10' high fences separating backyards in the town where I work. Both ends were sealed off pretty good, but the gap between the fences was open for the full length of the fence between the two backyards.

bobcats 2

Pretty good sized litter. Not the best choice of location from the human residents on either side's point of view, though. I "convinced" the mother that this actually wasn't the best base of operations for her and her brood*... and within 24 hours she had relocated the kittens to a more suitable wooded creek area nearby.

* This was definitely a case of "don't try this at home". Convincing her to move consisted of me standing on the top step (the don't stand here step) of a 6' ladder and repeatedly poking her with a pole while hoping she didn't blast out of the opening and into my face.

8 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

So that's a Bobcat, huh? What do they weigh?

jon spencer said...

About 15 to 40 pounds, but it is all teeth and claws.

daddybearsden.com said...

I didn't realize they littered so late in the year.

And yeah, you couldn't have paid me enough to get me to go in and retrieve them. Poking her until she and her brood moved on was a good idea.

LL said...

I don't know that I would have moved the bobcat. Unlike raccoons (you can't trust the burglar mask), they don't destroy wantonly and they are good at keeping the rodent population down - much like an uber aggressive house cat.

VERY good photos.

Kal said...

Great photos. Days like this must raise your adrenaline. How can real life ever compare. But I guess wild kitties are a rare treat in your week. I hope they will be okay.

Paladin said...

Our options were:

1. Leave them where they were. Couldn't do that. I ultimately work for people very concerned with voter opinion. Voters with small children/pets can be very motivated when bobcat families are that close.

2. Try to capture and relocate. Babies were no problem but Mom was tougher since we don't have chemical capture (tranq) capability. Could have ended up hurting her. I've caught a couple of bobcats with a pole or net - its exciting but can't really call it "fun".

3. What we did. They'll still be in the area, just not right outside someone's door. I'll get 5 or 6 calls a day from concerned people once she and the babies are out moving around where people can see them around the neighborhood here in a couple more weeks. :)

Elizabeth said...

OMG she is beautiful!! and since my pets stay indoors and no kids... i would have let her stay :-)

kx59 said...

I hope mom and litter can be relocated.
She is one healthy looking Cat, and so is her litter.
Ecolegislation is bad.
Conservation and Stewardship is good.