Thursday, January 3, 2013

Guns for me, but not for thee....

"BELLEVILLE, IL (KTVI)– The Belleville Chief of Police has banned his officers from eating at the local Denny’s restaurant while on duty after an incident at the establishment New Year’s Day.  A manager at the Denny’s Tuesday told a group of officers they could not eat at the restaurant if they were armed." 

"Belleville Police Captain Don Sax said, “It’s absolutely a slap in the face I totally agree it’s completely disrespectful. How can anyone think to tell a police officer you can’t be in here with your gun its absurd to me.”


Doesn't feel good, does it Captain Sax?

"Sax said the police had their badges in full view, either by their handguns or they were wearing them around their necks. Plus, portable police radios were on the table. A second manager showed up and told the officers they could stay with their weapons. But, the detectives left anyway.

Captain Sax added, “They had been harassed enough they have been embarrassed more than enough.”


Awwww..... poor babies!

Welcome to the world of the little people. What do you need your gun in a Denny's for, anyway?.... nothing bad is gonna happen to you in there. Says so right on the door.

Criminals can't carry guns in there, Dummys!
I generally cut Cops a great deal of slack. They do a tough job, are often unappreciated, and don't bare the lion's share of the responsibility for 2nd amendment infringements - at least not at the Beat Cop and Detective level.

Captain Sax's righteous indignation just rubbed me the wrong way when I think about all the tightropes that I have to continuously walk in order to obey the law and carry a gun legally - lest I find myself up against Cops very much like the ones that left the Denny's in a tizzy with their feelings hurt.

If I can't carry in a Denny's in Belleville, Illinois, as a law abiding US citizen, then I don't think the Cops should be able to either.

3 comments:

Kal said...

I was shocked to read your post. I know you are a thoughful decent man and I love that you can see the right/wrong on a case by case business. I am trying to read up on the topic so that I too can evolve on this issue.

Paladin said...

I just found the whole thing so ironic, with the shoe being on the other foot for once.

The point of this for me is: I'm every bit as qualified in firearm safety as those police officers are. I've undergone just a stringent background check process. Judging by the policemen that I've shot with in the past at ranges - I'm most likely a better shot than they are.

I don't pose any more of a threat to the other citizens inside a Denny's restaurant than they do.

Yet they can carry there, and I can not.

BobG said...

I saw an update that said the police will be allowed in there while carrying, and their boss now allows them at the establishment.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."