Monday, January 7, 2013

Just Hangin' Around

You don't see this every day...

owl netting

That's a Great Horned Owl that got itself tangled up in some netting. The house where I found it like this backs up to a golf course. The home owner had put up the netting to cut down on stray golf shots careening into the backyard and through their living room windows.

I was able to wrap the bird up in a towel, so I didn't loose a finger while working on it. Both the beak and the talons on these birds can really do a number on you if you aren't careful. A little work with my knife, and I was able to get him down and the netting unwrapped from his foot. Luckily he hadn't been hung up for too long, and aside from a bruised ego he was none the worse for wear.

I took him around to the front yard before letting him go, so he didn't fly right back into the netting.

I learned that lesson the hard way.

6 comments:

hiswiserangel said...

"What? I'm Batman..."

Jennifer said...

Oh wow! Glad he was alright. And you too.

Stephen said...

What a beautiful bird...well done.

Paladin said...

Angel - Now that you mention it... there *was* a Robin in a tree nearby. Coincidence?

Paladin said...

Jennifer - Thanks! Its not very often anyone is concerned about *my* safety. As long as I show up every day.

At my last performance evaluation I told my boss I was like Gravity. You usually don't give it a second thought, but if it stops working you're screwed. He didn't find that as funny as I did :)

Paladin said...

Stephen - Calls like these are among the few that I still enjoy after doing this for so long.