Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Rare moment caught on film....

I feel honored to have been in the right place at the right time to witness something you almost never see...

armadillo pumpkin 2

Those of you reading this who don't live in the South are probably unaware that Armadillos hatch from large, pumpkin shaped eggs every fall. Its really remarkable to see it happen right in front of you - since the eggs are usually well hidden by the mother Armadillo.

armadillo pumpkin

Once out of the Pumpkin Egg, the little guy shakes off the seed and trundles off to dig up people's front yards.

armadillo pumpkin 3

6 comments:

hiswiserangel said...

Daddy Paladin,
Where do babies come from?
Angel

Stephen said...

Ever eaten Armadillo on the half-shell? Rare photos indeed.

Paladin said...

I have to pick them up from roadways when they are "traffic hazards" too often. An Armdillo that has been baking in the Texas Sun for even a couple of hours is REALLY unappetizing. I don't think I could get those images out of my head long enough to try one even if cooked properly.

jon spencer said...

When I see one of those all that I can think of is the armadillo and leprosy connection.

Six said...

Ha! Thanks for the smile this morning Paladin.

orbitup said...

Nice find!