Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hawk identification

Anybody know what kind of hawk this is?

january hawk 2

Most of the hawks I run across on the job are Redtailed Hawks, Coopers Hawks, and the occasional Kestrel - and almost always adults. I've seen juvenile Redtails and they all had a lot more white on the chest. I did a little poking around on the internet and it looks kinda like a Juvenile Swainson's Hawk. However, if it is a Juvie Swainson's Hawk someone forgot to tell it that it's supposed to be in Argentina in January....

I'm thinking maybe its a Juvenile of another species that I'm actually familar with as an adult. Any ideas?

january hawk

6 comments:

Bob said...

Juvie Red-shouldered, I think.

Dean in Az said...

Hard to say without having a better look at the tail and feet. Possibly a rough legged - which are also mistaken for redtails - which do display the facial masking, but redtails have such highly variable markings (an it's worse with the juvies) that that's also a very good possibility.

Dean in Az said...

I think not red-shouldered at all. Much lighter below when juvenile, and distinctive as adults.

Sport Pilot said...

Young Goshawk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Goshawk_dove4.JPG

Paladin said...

Thanks for the suggestions, Guys. Glad I'm not the only one that was puzzled by the bird :)

Dean in Az- It would be easier with a different view... I snapped the two pics, looked away for a second, and it was gone. Not only did I not get a body/wing picture, I didn't get to even get a glance at it as it flew away.

Paladin said...

And FYI - I'm leaning toward young Cooper's Hawk, myself now. Not quite enough white on the belly for me to be confident about it... but what the hell.

I just sent an email to a local Raptor rehab Center asking them to help ID it. If they get back to me I'll post their opinion on the blog too.